Middle East to 1800
Due Tuesday, March 12:
- What does Mamluk mean in Arabic?
- How were Mamluks created?
- What happens to Muslims who leave Spain after 1492?
- Explain how the Ottoman ideas on good governance are cyclical.
- Who takes power from the Ottomans during the 18th Century?
- Who was Zahir al-Umar?
- Who was Ali Bey?
- Why is Ali defeated?
- Why is Zahir defeated?
- How do the Wahhabis cause problems for the Ottomans?
India 1500 to 1800
Due Friday, March 8:
- Who founded the Mughal empire?
- Why was such a small army able to take India?
- How does Akbar help keep peace among the different religions in India?
- How was Akbar’s tax policy helpful?
- What leads to the decline of the Mughal empire after Akbar dies?
- What is Shah Jahan’s biggest accomplishment?
- Why do domestic revolts break out under Aurangzeb?
- Why are the Portuguese different from the British when it comes to India?
- What leads to the British taking control of India?
- How are Indians impacted by British rule?
China 1500 to 1800
Due Tuesday, March 5: (if not completed in class)
- What impresses the Chinese about Europeans?
- What impresses the Europeans about the Chinese?
- What leads to the ending of the Ming Dynasty?
- How do the Manchus make the Chinese conform to their rule?
- How do the Manchus keep their own culture?
- Why is Kangxi important?
- Why does Qianlong start to have problems?
- How do the Chinese deal with the Russians?
- How do the Chinese deal with the British?
- Why might the British not like the Chinese system?
Japan 1500 to 1800
Due Friday, March 1: (if not completed in class)
- Why is the Tokugawa shogunate so important?
- Why is Oda Nobunaga important?
- Why is Toyotomi Hideyoshi important?
- Why is Tokugawa Ieyasu able to unite all of Japan under one rule?
- Why are Europeans first allowed into Japan?
- Why are Europeans not allowed into Japan?
- How was life in Tokugawa Japan oppressive to samurai?
- How was life in Tokugawa Japan oppressive to peasants?
- How was life in Tokugawa Japan oppressive to women?
- How was life in Tokugawa Japan enjoyable?
Due Tuesday, February 26:
95 Theses Questions
Columbus Day debate
Research for Columbus Day debate
Debate on Friday!
Spanish Conquest of Mexico
Due Tuesday, February 12:
In one page, single spaced, compare and contrast the conquest of Mexico by the Spanish from the Spanish and Aztec perspectives.
Due Friday, February 8:
- How does the invasion of the Ottoman Empire into Europe relate to current relations between Islam and Christianity? What does the failure of a Muslim takeover of Europe mean for today’s Europeans?
- How can Mehmed II be characterized as an: enlightened, barbaric, just, and intellectual ruler? Which do you think is the most accurate? Why?
- Why do you think Mehmed II decided to keep Hagia Sophia and turn it into a mosque instead of levelling it like he did other churches in Constantinople?
- Why is Istanbul such an important city: culturally, militarily, religiously, and politically?
- Compare Mehmed II to Muhammad.
India 500 to 1500
Due Friday, February 1:
- What would Genghis Khan say about the current image people have of him?
- What does the story of Genghis Khan, fact and fiction, say about the writing of history, interpretation of history, and the creation of history?
- Will Genghis Khan always have the image of being a bloodthirsty killer? Why or why not?
- Describe how Khan struggled to balance family responsibility with public ambition and loyalty to all his people. Which side would you dedicate more of your time to? Why?
- How does Khan’s childhood influence his later life?
China from 500 to 1500
Due Tuesday, January 29:
- What caused the collapse of the Han Dynasty?
- How is the Sui Dynasty created?
- What is the major accomplishment of the Sui Dynasty?
- What causes the downfall of the Sui Dynasty?
- What are some external accomplishments of the Tang Dynasty?
- What are some internal accomplishments of the Tang Dynasty?
- What causes the Tang Dynasty to fall?
- How is the Song Dynasty created?
- What are some accomplishments of the Song Dynasty?
- What leads to the downfall of the Song Dynasty?
Japan from 500 to 1500
Due Friday, January 25:
- Why does the majority of the Japanese population reside on the East Coast?
- What causes Japan to get a centralized government?
- Where do the Japanese get ideas for how their centralized government should be run?
- What reforms happen after Shotoku Taishi’s death?
- What leads to the downfall of centralized government in Japan?
- What was the purpose of the samurai class?
- What is a shogun?
- What is the purpose of the shogun?
- What happens when the Mongols attempt to invade Japan?
- Who becomes the most powerful following the end of the Kamakura shogunate?
Due Tuesday, January 22:
- What was the purpose of the Renaissance?
- Define Renaissance Man.
- Define humanism.
- Which subjects are now included in the Humanities?
- Where does the Renaissance style emerge?
- What were the two developments made in Renaissance artistic style?
- Who are the major figures of the High Renaissance?
- List the dominant city-states in Italy.
- How does France maintain monarchical power?
- How does Spain become unified?
Screening: The Crusades: The Crescent and the Cross (2005)
Due Tuesday, January 15:
- Why is Charlemagne's being named emperor of Rome important?
- How can Charlemagne be considered the “Father of Europe”?
- Why are the Vikings so successful in attacking Europe?
- How are the Vikings calmed into settlement?
- Define the following:
- How does capitalism develop in the Middle Ages?
- How do cities develop in the Middle Ages?
- How is the Black Death a worldwide problem?
- How does the plague reach Europe?
- What did Europeans believe was the cause of the plague?